|SY22-23 Policy Update|
An exciting new feature has been added to the Aspen Parent Portal, allowing parents and guardians to submit and track student absences electronically. That means no more making last-minute phone calls for your student's absence.
E-Absence joins a lineup of features that are already available on the Aspen Parent Portal to manage your student’s school experience. Sign in to your account at ASPEN.CPS.EDU for features including:
- Checking Assignments
- Viewing Grades
- Tracking Attendance
- Paying Fees
To access Parent Portal, you must:
- Be listed as a contact for your student in the Student Information System.
- Have a valid email in the student’s contact records.
- Request and submit the validation code sent via email.
Don’t have an account? You can also learn more at cps.edu/pages/parentresources.aspx or contact Jones's main office at 773-534-8600. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gjs7EesBc3xMQMePvb_z4ElzbC2TXPPX/view?usp=sharing
Protocols for receiving Reasons for Student Absentee
- A letter (or note) signed by the parent/guardian explaining the reason for the student's absence, please include the date of the student's absence. The letter (or note) can be brought to the main office upon the student's return to school. [ Official Absence Note ]
- A direct phone call/voicemail message to the school that communicates the date of the student's absence, the reason for the absence, the student’s name, the name of the caller, and the caller’s relationship with the student. Please speak clearly, so your student's attendance can be captured correctly. Please call the main office at 773-534-8600 and select option #3 for the attendance
Text messages or Emails are NOT a valid form of communication for reporting students' attendance.
What is the state accepted valid causes for absence?
- illness now includes mental health days
- Observance of a religious holiday
- Death in the immediate family
- Family Emergency
- Circumstances that cause reasonable concern for your child's safety or health
- Sounding "Taps" at a military honors funeral held in this State for a deceased veteran*
- A student’s parent or legal guardian is an active duty member of the uniformed services called to duty, on leave, or has immediately returned from deployment to a combat zone*
- Other situations beyond the control of the student
Protocols for Early Dismissals
- Early dismissal can only be made by a parent/guardian identified on the submitted school emergency form; students can only be released to persons identified on the submitted emergency form. You can park your car in front of the building with your emergency lights on, come to the main office and text your student to meet you there so that they can swipe out and you can sign them out for the day.
- A phone call requesting an early dismissal is not permitted
A student that is 18 may sign themselves out for Early Dismissal (The school will contact the parent/guardian to inform them.)
- A student below the age of 18 cannot sign themselves out.