Awards & Honors
The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program recognizes public and private elementary, middle, and high schools based on their overall academic excellence or their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups. Every year the U. S. Department of Education seeks out and celebrates great American schools, schools demonstrating that all students can achieve to high levels. Now in its 39th year, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has bestowed more than 10,000 awards to over 9,000 schools, with some schools winning multiple awards. Schools are eligible for nomination after five years. The coveted National Blue Ribbon School award affirms the hard work of students, educators, families, and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging and engaging content. The National Blue Ribbon School flag gracing an entry or flying overhead is a widely recognized symbol of exemplary teaching and learning.
- Jones College Prep was the first CPS high school to be named a U.S. Department of Education “Blue Ribbon” school (2006). The school would go onto receive the award again in 2012 and 2020.
- Jones has been recognized as one of “America’s Best High Schools” by U.S. News and World Report for four consecutive years and is ranked in the TOP 100 high schools in 2012.
- In 2011, Jones College Prep won both the Spotlight Schools Award and the Academic Excellence Award. Jones has made the Honor Roll more than any school in the state with 16 awards since the Honor Roll began in 2003.
- Jones is among the few public high schools in Illinois to receive a distinguished GreatSchools Rating of 10 out of 10.
- Jones was named one of “America’s Best High Schools” for 2010 by Newsweek magazine, ranking 6th in Illinois and 4th in Chicago.
- Jones ranked in the “Top 10” among Illinois public high schools on the PSAE state assessment (2008 and 2009).
- Jones has six National Board Certified Teachers and four additional teachers in the process of receiving this honor.
- Jones teachers have received numerous Oppenheimer Family Foundation Teacher Incentive Grants for innovative educational initiatives.
- Jones has had 100% graduation and 100% college acceptance for the Classes of 2008 and 2009.
- Jones graduates (2009, 2010) earned composite scores above 24 on the ACT college entrance exam, the highest in the school’s history and among the highest in the state.
- Three Class of 2010 seniors were named “Golden Apple Scholars” out of only 100 in Illinois.
- Graduates of the Classes of 2009 and 2010 received more than $15 million in college scholarship offers.
- Jones students are the most diverse student body of any CPS selective enrollment high schools.
- A Jones senior was the only CPS high school student to be named a U.S. Presidential Scholar in 2009.
- Jones students are offered 20 Advanced Placement (college level) courses in all academic disciplines.
- Jones visual and performing arts students are recognized throughout the region for their talents and are frequently featured in the local media, galleries, and performance venues.
- Jones has received the Siemens Foundation Award for outstanding Advanced Placement programs in science, mathematics, and technology.
- Jones offers a wide array of competitive interscholastic sports, including baseball, basketball, bowling, cheerleading, cross country, dance team, soccer, softball, track, and volleyball.
- Boys Cross Country 2012 State Champs
- Girls Softball 2010 CPS Section Champs
- Boys Volleyball 2010 CPS Section Champs
- Girls Basketball 2008 Chicago Conference Champs
- Boys Baseball 2007, 2008, 2009 IHSA Regional Champs
- 2008, 2009 IHSA Sectional Champs
- 2007 CPS Section Champs
- Boys Basketball 2008 CPS Section Champs
- Girls Volleyball 2007, 2008 CPS Section Champs
- Track and Cross Country have gone to State in 2008-2009 and 2010-2011.