Planned Multi-School Walkout
Earlier today we learned of a potential student walk-out throughout the district tomorrow, Friday, January 14. Student organizers in the city have expressed that they have concerns over COVID-19 safety and that their voices have not been heard during the recent class cancellations. We wish to provide our students with a safe and supportive environment to express their feelings and concerns. Although the city-wide walk-out is scheduled for 12:30 pm, it is our understanding that organizers at Jones are proposing that students skip Eagle Lab at 1:45 to gather in the courtyard, and then leave campus for the march at their scheduled dismissal time at 2:15 pm.
We respect the students' concerns and plan to do the following:
- Have students "check-in" for attendance in their AcLab rooms or remotely so they are marked present for that 30 minute period.
- Students will then be free to use the remainder of the period (1:45-2:15) as regular AcLab time or to prepare for the walk-out at 2:15.
- At 2:15, students who wish to join the march may do so; those who do not may leave to go home as scheduled, stay for after-school activities, etc.
- All students who leave campus at 2:15 may return to school for after-school activities.
We advise students not to walk out at 12:30 pm, but to take advantage of the safety plan outlined above. Students who do and miss class time, including the Eagle Lab period, will be marked as unexcused for each class period missed; parents or guardians will be notified. We will make an announcement at the beginning of the school day Friday so students are aware of this safety plan.
Thank you for your support as we work together to recognize and listen to our students' voices while keeping everyone safe. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to any member of the School Leadership Team.
Dr. Powers, Dr. Plunkett, Mr. Mitchell, Ms. Gonzalez Torres
- - - - - -
- Haga que los estudiantes "registren" la asistencia en sus salas de AcLab o de forma remota para que se marquen como presentes durante ese período de 30 minutos.
- Luego, los estudiantes podrán usar el resto del período (1:45-2:15) como tiempo regular de AcLab o prepararse para la salida a las 2:15.
- A las 2:15, los estudiantes que deseen unirse a la marcha podrán hacerlo; los que no pueden salir para ir a casa según lo programado, quedarse para actividades extraescolares, etc.
- Todos los estudiantes que salen del campus a las 2:15 pueden regresar a la escuela para actividades extracurriculares.